Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The Fire Alarm Incident

Setting: Thursday, September 25, 2008 approximately 7pm. Hyatt Regency Hotel in Cambridge (home).
Well, it started off like any other early Thursday evening. I returned home from dance class at around 6pm, and after I ate dinner and messed around for a bit, I thought it would be advantageous to take a shower. So I got it the shower and all was well. I washed my hair, put in some conditioner, shaved my legs, but as I was shaving I heard something strange going on outside the safety of my shower. It sounded like a fire alarm, but I chose to ignore the situation until I finished my shower. However, Kaitlin had a different plan. As soon as I finished shaving, she started knocking on the bathroom door, so in order to hear her, I shut off the shower.
"Come on, we've gotta go, the fire alarm is going off!"
Suddenly, I became very flustered, and, without thinking, I threw on my bathrobe, wrapped a towel around my head (my hair still saturated with conditioner), shoved my feet into my slippers and was ready to go.
As I removed myself from the comforts of my own room and headed down the stairs to would-be safety, I regretted more and more my decision to forgo putting on actual clothes. Once I stepped foot outside and realized I was still soaking wet and the temperature had dropped significantly since earlier in the day, I knew I had made a terrible, rash decision. People were pointing and laughing.
"Look at that fool in her bathrobe!"
Yes, I was a fool. And so, for the next hour and a half which we were forced to wait until they let us back into our rooms, I tried to laugh off my situation, all the while wishing I had just rinsed out my hair and put on some stinking clothes.
I can't help thinking, though, had there actually been a fire (for this was all just some sort of false alarm) at least I'd have gotten to safety all that much more quickly... I mean... right? This was the better decision, wasn't it?
It wasn't a real fire, though, so I was just a fool in a bathrobe. And, so, the moral of the story is this: always assume it's a false alarm, and throw on some clothes because at least then, even if it is a real fire and you get trapped and die in the inferno, you never risked the chance of a breeze blowing up your bathrobe and exposing your lady parts to a large group of business men.

No comments: